Friday, January 4, 2013

Decor Withdrawal

It's that time of year again, time to take down all your Christmas decorations. I hate this time of year, not because it's a lot of work or anything but because I love how full and well pieced together my living room seems during Christmas. Huh? your saying. Well let me explain...

We have a good sized living room, we also live in a split level and our living room has the birds eye view of the entry which makes it seem ever larger. Rooms like this really need a large focal point that bring you away from the entry space and into the room. My problem is that our whole living room is made up of old free furniture from family...the stuff we have had since college. It's totally NOT cute and doesn't fill the space at all. I have tried and failed to make the room work but no matter what it just always looks badly decorated. The Christmas tree is that tall focal point I am always craving and it takes up a large amount of space. It forces all the other small furniture to be better placed, closer together and just plan nicer looking. Without the tree there always seems to be a corner of nothing, a black whole.

We are remodeling our basement on a tight budget and don't even have furniture for that space yet. Sometimes I just sit around my house and want to scream, when will it ever look nice?????

Ok wow, in terms of starving children I am just being plain silly. But you work hard and save every penny, you want to have a nice home. I'm not wanting much, I'm 27 and I just feel like we are way over due with moving on from college furniture.

If I was blind to interior decorating maybe I wouldn't care so much but I LOVE decorating and making spaces the best they can be. Hopefully I will get used to the Post-Christmas room layout soon.

Ok, silly rant over. Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment